Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Proof is in the Pudding

I always need a project. Something that allows me to research, take notes, and inevitably, forgo sleep for nightly games of mental ping pong as I toss ideas from the left side of my brain to the right side, and back again. I surround myself with cookbooks, scribble down ideas as I read and rifle through the pages of glistening dessert photos. Then, with a bundle of notes and primitive sketches under my arm, I forge into the kitchen like a warrior onto a battle-field. And then the same thing happens every time: I surrender all my plans and diagrams and formulas and make whatever feels right in that moment.
Project: Classic American Desserts Made Classier
First Attempt: Rice Pudding
Pictured above is a Maple Pecan Banana Risotto. A bruleed slice of banana sits on top of the spoon, dictating that your first bite of the dessert be one packed with the caramelized crunch of the sugar coated fruit. Candied Pecans lie on the plate to accompany the pudding, or to enjoy as tasty treats on their own.