Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day 2010

I think it's a shame that most people only get to design and eat their own wedding cake once (or twice, or thrice). They are such wonderful, gigantic, over-the-top desserts. And to only allow yourself one (or two, or three) in a whole g
reat lifetime... tragic. That's why I have decided to make a wedding cake for myself (and any others who want to partake) every year on my favorite holiday. (I started in 2009.) The jingle of sleigh bells do nothing for me. Scary masks and cheap candy bars... nothing. Too much dry turkey and a stomach ache... nothing. But Valentine's Day -- that's the one holiday that really makes me tick. So I decorate my house, I wear all the pink and red I can pull out of my closet, craft heart-shaped candies, make goody-bags for friends and students, fill the house with sweets and pink-colored savory foods... and slowly, but surely, work to convert all those Valentine's-Day-haters to loving (or at least tolerating) the sweeter side of the day. I find the best tool for such
a job to be 4 tiers of cake.
Valentine's Day Cake
Tier 1: Chocolate cake with Strawberry Buttercream
Tier 2: Vanilla cake with Passion Fruit Buttercream
Tier 3: Lemon cake with Blood Orange Buttercream
Tier 4: A teeny,
tiny, vanilla cake
Decorated with hand-made gum-paste and buttercream roses