Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

In years past, I've been known to make a wedding cake each Valentine's Day. February 14th is, in fact, my favorite and most anticipated day of the year. But this year I thought about how to optimize my enjoyment of this most wonderful holiday. Did I really want to spend weeks leading up to the Big Day with my neck craned over the careful work of sculpting roses out of gum paste? Did I want my fingers to cramp up at each knuckle from holding those tiny paintbrushes meticulously dusting edible glitter onto the edges of sugar flower petals? Did I want to stay up, alone in my kitchen, on the 13th of February shuttling pans of batter in and plumped up cakes out of my single oven all night?

I decided the answer to all these questions was, well... "no." Instead, I invited two dear girlfriends over to my apartment to decorate cookies. Granted, I had the whole evening prepared -- I had already made the cookie dough and organized upwards of 25 different sprinkle options for decorating. But all in all, the operation was smooth, easy and full of laughter.

I woke up this morning with a hacking cough, sniffly nose and kitchen counters crusty with dried icing from last night. Though not religious in the traditional fashion, I am a firm and devout believer in the Cake Gods -- and this was a sign. Next year, ValenWedding Cake production will be in full swing again!