Friday, May 29, 2009

Ballet and Baking Need Each Other

I grew up a dancer, then danced my way right into the kitchen and started baking. One might think I had to choose between these two passions when it came time to start a career. Nope. I make my living teaching dance classes during the day and teaching pastry classes at night. Sure, there are downsides. Like, for instance, the fact that I live my professional life in costumes: A purple corset with fabric roses and jewels, a matching tutu that sticks out a foot from my body on all sides with tuile, pink tights, ballet slippers, and a diamond tiara at the ballet studio -- An oversized starched white chef coat and baggy black and white checkered pants with clogs and an apron at the pastry school. But I don't think I would have it any other way. It's balance. For every student's souffle I have to taste for my job at night, I dance at least 4 hours the next day. It's a constant cycle -- Consuming butter and sugar, then burning energy. In fact, my two passions, my two careers, sort of need each other. And to integrate things even more... Chef Ballerina Katie makes the cupcakes for the birthday parties at the dance studio every weekend. Always the same -- pink icing with homemade purple sugar roses -- but it's one more way to tie these two careers into one.